Monday, September 26, 2011

Looking Forward...

5 days from today, I will be taking on what might be the longest advocacy project in my life so far. One Month of wearing the same dress- Everyday! My normal outfit consists of jeans, a t-shirt, hoodie or flannel shirt, and converses. Never a dress, never a skirt- not unless it was a special occasion. So wearing a skirt everyday is definitely not my idea of comfortable clothing.

This isn't the first time I've done that, though. The Columbus School for Girls uniform is a pleated plaid skirt and knee high socks, with collared shirt and monogrammed sweater. I attended this school for my last two years of high school, and grew rather fond of the uniform. The difference is that now, it is my choice. I am not required to wear this dress everyday, as I was my school uniform.

I do this out of duty. Duty to God, to Ohio University, to my friends and family. A duty to myself. But most importantly, a duty to the Victims of Sex Trafficking. A duty to share their story, raise awareness, and ultimately advocate for their survival.

I ask you to come along with me on this journey; a journey of awareness, advocacy, and self-discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment