Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 2: Perspective

Day 2 down. A lazy Sunday. I must say, I rather enjoy lounging around my room in my dress. I don't, however, enjoy sitting on the floor for 2 hours when I can't sit "unladylike" because of my dress. Sorry F-Word Ladies (and Gents)! Next week, I call the yoga mats...

I do enjoy the support the F-Word Ladies showed for my project and their willingness to join me in my Day 2 picture in front of a giant mirror!


(1) Athens is cold and rainy. I want warm pants. My legs are cold. Leggings are nice, but thin. Tomorrow I might have to pull off some jeans and dress action, no matter how ridiculous it looks. (2) Hoodies do not work well with a dress. While wearing my hoodie, the dress kept getting pulled higher and higher, making it shorter and shorter. And making me paranoid that my butt was showing, even though I was wearing shorts underneath.

But I really don't have any room to complain. Millions of women and girls cannot go home to a safe and warm bed, snuggle under a bunch of blankets, and forget their worries. It's about perspective. That seems to be smacking me in the face today. I'm walking around campus, wishing I was wearing something warmer and cursing this dress (I know day 2 and I hate the dress) when I should be grateful I have the choice to take it off and give up this project. To shed my burden, in a way. I can go back to my dorm and do homework under my soft snuggie, shedding the troubles of an unforgiving world.

I have options millions of people don't. I have a warm bed to myself and autonomy over my life. I am free.

No comments:

Post a Comment